It is basically colorless fuel gas and used extensively in industries for metal cutting and brazing applications. Acetylene produces highest known flame temperature when mixed with Oxygen. Commercially it is produced by reaction of Calcium Carbide with water.
- As a flame cutter for metal cutting / welding / brazing purpose.
- As a lighting lamp in mines and caves.
- As a carburizing agent / hardening agent in steel industry.
- As a gas in AAS – Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy.
- Some of the pharmaceuticals industry also uses Acetylene dissolved in DMF.
July 13, 2020